About : Anna
I conduct a personal ceremony for your special and unique celebration
Wedding, Handfast, Renewal of Vows, Baby Naming, Coming of Age, Memorial & Funeral. Full Legal Wedding and Same-Sex Marriage Ceremonies conducted here in Bonnie Scotland
Your service is about you and reflects your own personality and likes. Chose your own readings & music and get your friends & family involved too, if you wish, and enjoy your special day!
As part of the local Scottish Community, I have been conducting Ceremonies for several years now and I always try to do my very best for every couple and family I meet. My philosophy is that it is Your Ceremony and every service I conduct reflects your values & wishes.
I was born in Glasgow to a Glaswegian Mother and an Aberdonian (Doric) Father. They met during WWII when my Dad was on The Russian Convoys. My Great Aunts were 'layers out of the dead' and my Mother used to help local women in childbirth. I can remember her grabbing her coat and dashing across the street to help no matter what day or time it was. Then, for days & weeks afterwards, she'd make huge pots of soup and send my sisters over to the families so 'the weans were fed'. Family and community were very important to her.
When my Mother was diagnosed with mesothelioma, in 1992, I came home to take care of her. My Dad & I nursed her for months, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until she died in her sleep. But before she died she told us exactly how she wanted her funeral to be. And it was all about her. 'A Celebration Of Life'. Hundreds of people turned up to pay their respects and it was 'the best' funeral I have ever seen. And so, over the years, when I attended other relatives & friends funerals I realised many of them weren't actually about the person and I decided I wanted to Celebrate the lives of people and conduct ceremonies which are about the person, the family, the friends.
In the late 2000's I trained and shadowed other Celebrants and also completed a course in legal celebrancy in England (where the registrars train) and I have been conducting Funeral, Memorial, Baby Naming, Renewal of Vows and Weddings since then.
When my Dad died in 2012, I conducted his funeral in Cornwall and no-one down there had seen anything like it! We played his favourite music; Doris Day, Laurel & Hardy, The Northern Lights of Aulde Aberdeen (his song), my sister did a Rabbie Burns reading, my nephew played The Last Post (He's a Royal Marines Musician) and people were laughing at the stories & memories we shared. It wasn't easy but he was my Daddy and he deserved the best that I could give him.
As for my education, I have a BSc in Maths/Astrophysics, a PgD in Software Engineering (yes, I am a geek!!) :) and a BSc (Hons) in Health & Social Care for which I studied Death & Dying and Religious Studies. But my best education has been life itself.
I've always been a 'listener' and, for your Celebration, I will listen to you and encourage you to have the ceremony you want, not what other people think you should have. It is your day.
No matter how big or how small your Celebration is.. make it special, make it unique and make it memorable. And make it Yours.
Planning Your Ceremony
- Contact me initially to discuss your Ceremony
- We can meet up in person or talk via email and/or telephone
- You chose music, readings and family/friends taking part
- I can advise on traditions, customs and etiquette
- For legal marriage in Scotland, I will guide you with paperwork, dates of submission etc
- On your special day, I will conduct the Ceremony you want
- How much do you charge to conduct a Ceremony?
- That depends on what type of Ceremony and the location
- Do you come to the Wedding meal afterwards?
- That's up to you. I don't 'expect' to be invited, in fact I'd rather you had your family/friends there (I know how expensive wedding's can be and I'd hate to take the place of someone you wanted to invite!). I may stay for a wee drink and Congratulate you
- I am in America and I'd like to do something special for my partner - can you help?
- Anything at all that I can do to help. If you need to arrange everything by email, it's fine. And if you need help finding a location in your budget just let me know. I'm always out and about.
- When should I book you for my Wedding?
- As soon as you have your date! I have bookings made in 2014 for 2017 so it's vital that you get your date, venue, celebrant and band booked as soon as you can.
- What if you are not available on my date?
- It may happen! But, don't worry, I have several lovely colleagues who I can recommend.
- Where can I get married?
- Anywhere in Scotland; in a garden, hotel, castle, palace, ruined historical sites, outside, inside, at home, on a boat, up a mountain.. (except some religious buildings)